RESOLUTION SUPPORT SERVICES
The Family Court offers a range of related support services such as Mediation and Social Services, which are all located within one building. It is therefore a virtual "one-stop shop" and multi-door courthouse.
THE MEDIATION UNIT
Mediation is a form of conflict resolution. It involves discussions between persons in conflict in an attempt to arrive at a solution amicable to both parties.
HOW TO ACCESS MEDIATION AT FAMILY COURT:
- A Judge or Magistrate can refer parties to mediation during the court matter.
- The Social Services Unit of the Family Court can refer customers to mediation during the court matter.
- You can visit the Family Court and request the service.
THE SOCIAL SERVICES UNIT
The Social Services Unit is an entity that facilitates customers in acquiring the skills and competencies needed to improve their social function, by providing confidential and proficient services aimed at resolving family issues.
HOW TO ACCESS THE SOCIAL SERVICES UNIT AT FAMILY COURT:
- A Judge or Magistrate can refer parties to the Social Services Unit during the court matter.
- The Mediation Unit of the Family Court can refer customers to the Social Services Unit.
- You can visit the Family Court and request this service but it applies to situations deemed urgent.
SPECIAL COURT FEATURES
The Family Court also houses its very own library, which is a part of the Court Library Services System and caters for all Judicial Officers and the staff of the Family Court and Attorneys-at-Law. This system is specially designed to complement the unique features of the Family Court, which amalgamates judicial, social and mediation services, focusing on family law and materials relevant to socio-legal issues in relation to the family.
Special facilities are also extended to non-English speaking customers, the physically challenged and the visually and hearing impaired who have business before the Court. The Family Court brings together in a centralized physical environment, a team of social service providers, who are all experts in their respective fields. They help and support you and other members of your family, adults as well as children, to resolve family conflict and enhance social functioning.